ANZAC Day, April 25, is one of the most important dates on the Australian calendar and you can never go an Anzac day without baking some delicious ANZAC biscuits.
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of rolled oats
1 cup of desiccated coconut
¾ cup of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of finely grated lemon rind
125g of butter
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon of boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, 160 degrees if your oven is fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper and then sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the oats, coconut, sugar and lemon rind and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
2. Place the butter and golden syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Zap them on high for 30 seconds or until the butter has melted, then give the butter mixture a bit of a stir.
3. Combine the bicarbonate of soda and a teaspoon of boiling water in a bowl then add it to the butter mixture. Now pour the liquid into the well you’ve created in the flour mixture and stir it all through until you have a nice firm dough.
4. Roll level tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place them apart on the tray, slightly flattened.
5. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, make sure to swap the top rack with the bottom rack halfway through to ensure even cooking or the top rack might burn.
6. Let them stand for 5 minutes on their tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool down. (If you can let them cool for 5 mins without wanting to eat them haha)