On This Day in the 90's
- Ritchie Valens was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame posthumously
- Carlos Herrera, drink inventor (Margarita), dies at 90.
- 28th Academy of Country Music Awards: Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, and Mary Chapin Carpenter win.
- In New York City, more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- Scientists confirmed that Ebola, one of the world's deadliest viruses, had broken out in Zaire.
- Jimmy Vaughan, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy and Robert Cray reunited for a tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughn. All five had played with Vaughan at his last show on August 26, 1990, before he was killed in a helicopter crash.
- IBM’s supercomputer Deep Blue makes chess history by defeating Garry Kasparov.
- A French mint produced the first coins of Europe's single currency, the euro.
...and THAT's what happend on May 11, during the 90's!