Someone "undoubtedly" knows more about what happened to William Tyrrell, an inquest into his disappearance and suspected death has been told.
The missing toddler was aged three years and three months when he vanished without a trace from the backyard of his foster grandmother's house in Kendall on the NSW mid north coast on September 12, 2014.
Counsel assisting the coroner Gerard Craddock SC told a directions hearing at the NSW Coroners Court on Wednesday that while a number of pieces of information of "varying" quality had already come to light some of it had been designed to "waste police's time".
He continued to call for anyone with information to come forward.
"There's undoubtedly somebody out there who knows more and who has not been in contact yet," he said.
"We ask people to come forward with as much information as they have."
Mr Craddock said the police investigation into William's disappearance was ongoing, with many officers still working hard to solve the mystery.
The inquest will resume on August 5.
© AAP 2019