Local News

Majority Say 'No' to Compulsory School Sign Language Lessons


Two thirds of our readers disagree with a suggestion to make Auslan a compulsory subject in schools.

Currently around 20,000 Australians communicate using the sign language and in 2021, it will be included as an official language on Australia's census for the first time.

Peak advocacy group Deaf Australia said the move is a major win for those with hearing loss and supports the idea of Auslan becoming widely available in schools.

In our online poll over the past week we asked Should Auslan (sign language) be a Compulsory Subject in Schools?

The majority said 'No' (67 per cent) while the other 33 per cent said 'Yes'.

Photo cottonbro from Pexels