National News

NSW Police prepared for Anzac Day threats

NSW Police have sought to reassure the public ahead of Anzac Day gatherings, saying there is no intelligence to suggest there is an increased risk of terror attacks.

But as preparations gained speed on Friday, Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch conceded lone wolf-style attacks, such as an incident in Paris, were difficult to prevent.

A French policeman was shot dead and two others were wounded in central Paris on Thursday night in an attack claimed by the Islamic State militant group.

Mr Murdoch likened the incident to the shooting death of police accountant Curtis Cheng in 2015.

"Our threat profile here in Australia and particular NSW is for that lone actor-style of attack - that's what we are working very hard to prevent," he said in Sydney.

"There is no specific intelligence to suggest Anzac Day is at any increased level of threat, but lone-actor attacks ... are very, very difficult to prevent."

Mr Murdoch said police numbers would be comparable to previous Anzac Day events, with "a large number" of officers patrolling dawn services and the march.

"Police will, as the community would expect of us, put in place those arrangements we feel necessary to protect the public and ensure a safe event," he said.

Sydneysiders will also experience an increased police presence this weekend as US Vice President Mike Pence jets into the city for the Australian leg of his Asia-Pacific tour.

Mr Murdoch said all NSW Police members had been advised not to be complacent in the wake of the Paris shooting.

"Indeed, we convey that same message to the community - to not be alarmed but alert, vigilant and ... if they see something, say something," he said.

© AAP 2017

You may also like...

Man arrested, then let go after baby dies

Man arrested, then let go after baby dies

A man has been arrested and later released after a two-month-old baby boy died in southern NSW as police investigate whether the death was due to...

Boy, 12, who drove across NSW had bingle

Boy, 12, who drove across NSW had bingle

A 12-year-old boy who drove 1300 kilometres across NSW on his own in the family car managed to evade suspicion partly because he looks much older and...

Unlicensed NSW driver had men in car boot

Unlicensed NSW driver had men in car boot

A driver stopped for a random breath test in Sydney was allegedly unlicensed, drink-driving and had two people in the boot of his car.The 36-year-old...

Call for CCC to probe flood death handling

Call for CCC to probe flood death handling

Queensland's corruption watchdog should investigate whether police mishandled a probe into the deaths of a mother and son in the 2011 floods, a...